6.30.2011

[stay gold.]


as i write this, my students are finishing up their final assignment of their last day of summer session. we watched the outsiders today, one of my all time favorite books and movies, and now they have to complete a writing assignment based on the film. in spite of my love for the book, and the lessons it has to teach, i'm as excited as my students are for summer break.

i'm leaving in a little over a week to visit my family in texas. i'll fly into dallas, rent a car, drive to my mom's, and spend a couple of days with her before driving on to my sister's new place in houston where i'll see my dad and step-mom as well. it'll be a whirlwind of a week, but that's the way it goes when you have to cram months of memories into a too-short amount of time.

the older i get, the harder it is for me to be far away from my family. my dad sent me a text a couple of months ago saying that he wished i lived closer so he could come to my house for coffee some mornings. that text had me in tears for longer than i'd like to admit, and it lingers in my mind. little things like coffee with dad, sitting on my mom's porch, and laughing with my sister till we cry... those are the things i'll never have a chance to catch up on.

there aren't enough hours in the day, or days in this life. guess it's true, ponyboy, nothing gold can stay.


2 comments:

tessa said...

great now i'm crying. seriously. oh and btw. call me so you can fill up your gas tank in austin. i will pay for your gas and bring you some yummy texas treats just to kiss your face. PLEASE
t cup

Sara Louise said...

Your Dad's text would have made me cry too.
Have a wonderful time in Texas! I'm counting down until my trip in August.... can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!