5.10.2011

[it's kind of a funny story.]


It's Kind of a Funny StoryIt's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

i thought this was a pretty cute book. i may be getting old (yes, i am) and turning into a prude (ok, i already was a prude) but i'm not sure how it fits into the young adult category. i mean, how young are we talking? the kid in the book is depressed, checks himself into a mental ward, and is dealing with some pretty grown up sexual feelings and discoveries in the midst of all of that. i know kids these days are exposed to way more than kids were exposed to in my day, but that doesn't necessarily mean they should be. right?

i don't know. maybe i'm crazy.




View all my reviews

4 comments:

Tiny Elvis said...

We've come a long way from Judy Blume books. Even Gossip Girl is technically in the YA category and just about every book has some sort of underaged drinking. The rules are definitely changing.

Sara Louise said...

The rules are definitely changing! I can't tell if I'm growing more old, or my prude. It's a tough call!

Sara said...

Have you ever read "Looking for Alaska"? It's a really well-written novel,and I felt the same way about the sexuality and drinking in it. It was all about kids around age 16 at boarding school and it felt more like college age behavior.

Thankfully there were consequences to the under age drinking.

Pearl said...

I'm with you -- I can't help but wonder who sits on the committees that decide how things are rated.

I think I would like to be on one...

Pearl