4.30.2010

[let the great world spin.]

Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
wow, what a heartbreaker. just like a reliable wife, i loved let the great world spin for its poetry. i usually flag pages with passages that stand out to me, ones i'd like to come back to and read again later. my whole book is a mess of flagged pages. i'll try to list a few of the passages here but to write them all would be too much.
that being said, it's not an easy read. it took me awhile to get through it, not because it's sad (although at times it is) but because there are so many layers to the story. all the characters relate to each other in some degree and by the end of the book they've all been woven together to create the most beautiful story.
a few of my faves:
"That's what I like about God. You get to know him by his occasional absence."
"I recalled the myth that I had once heard as a university student-thirty six hidden saints in the world, all of them doing the work of humble men, carpenters, cobblers, shepherds. They bore the sorrows of the earth and they had a line of communication with God, all except one, the hidden saint, who was forgotten. The forgotten one was left to struggle on his own, with no line of communication to that which he so hugely needed. Corrigan had lost his line with God: he bore the sorrows on his own, the story of stories."
"She had that emigrant's sadness- she would never go back to her old country- it was gone in more senses than one- but she was forever gazing homeward anyway."
"I mean, how many men can say they'd rather be nowhere else in the world? That's how I felt. That moment. That I wanted nothing but the here and now, and nowhere else. On earth as it is in heaven. That one moment."
"Sometimes thinking back on things is a mistake arising out of pride, but I guess you live inside a moment for years, move with it and feel it grow, and it sends out roots until it touches everything in sight."
"People are good or half good or a quarter good, and it changes all the time- but even on the best day nobody's perfect."

View all my reviews >>
Let the Great World Spin


No comments: