2.08.2010

[valentimes.]

(yes, i spelled it wrong on purpose.)

there's something sweet about valentine's day- no pun intended.

i know a lot of people hate it, think it's ridiculous and that it's just a gimmick, an excuse for hallmark and other companies to make a buck off of a bunch of saps.

but i think it's sweet.

i remember when i was little getting so excited about my little valentine cards.  i'd take them to school and give them to all my friends, saving the very best one for clint hudson.  i made sure his was the biggest and sweetest.  we'd have cupcakes or cookies in class and it was just the best day...

then i got old enough to be lonely.  if i didn't have a boyfriend on valentine's day i'd feel like a big, fat loser and i'd just tell people i hated valentine's day so i wouldn't seem so pathetic when no one wanted me as their sweetheart.

now that i'm married, valentine's day is just another day to remind my guy how much i love him.  i don't see what the big deal is.  so what if it's a gimmick... don't buy into it.  do something totally romantic that doesn't cost anything at all.  there's someone out there to love even if you're lonely.

your mom, your dog, your mailman.... no judgement.

6 comments:

Tiny Elvis said...

I find it sweeter to have a nice dinner at home with my husband and then play an epic game of Scrabble while finishing our bottle of wine on V-Day. Spending lots of money on flowers and cards and candy may be sweet, but as we get older it's not necessary.

Sara Louise said...

I think it's sweet too, and I always make sure to do something even if I'm sans man. Actually, I spent last year (the Boyfriend was in France) and the four before that with my Mother. Not joking. Dinner and a movie, me and my Mom. Thinking about it, now I'm a bit sad that I won't be her date this year. I'm such a loser.
Bonne Saint-Valentin!

ohhellocupcake said...

sara, i love that your mom was your valentine- if mine were closer, i'd definitely take her out.

tiny elvis, scrabble and a bottle of wine sound like MY kind of date! (maybe i'd throw in a little chocolate, just for good measure...)

skylana said...

i miss you now that i'm not on facebook. i hope we can still be friends via internet even though, you know....

ohhellocupcake said...

skylana, check your email!

mari m. said...

"there's someone out there to love even if you're lonely" - love it!

i usually spend this day with a book or my sister, that's not so bad :)