12.30.2009

[the other.]

The Other The Other by David Guterson

I confess, I judge books by their covers. That, and customer reviews on Amazon.com. The cover of this book implied that it would be spooky.. maybe even a thriller.

Incorrect.

It was a story of a guy named John William who becomes a hermit and goes to live out in the woods close to Forks, WA. (What's the big deal about Forks?!) He lives there for several years, dies, and ends up leaving his best friend $440 million dollars in his will. I'm not giving anything away here because the author pretty much covers all of this in the first chapter. The rest of the book is about how it all unfolds.

There's no doubt Guterson is an amazing author. He paints a beautiful picture... but, sometimes, I think there's something to be said for using fewer words to tell a story.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: