9.01.2009

[monticello.]

The Hemingses of Monticello The Hemingses of Monticello by Annette Gordon-Reed

Lynda was right.. this one was pretty dry. I sat down with it the first night and opened the book expecting to settle in to a juicy novel that was based on historical fact. That's almost what i got... almost. It wasn't juicy at all, and while it was definitely factual, there was absolutely NO juice. It read like a history book.. an interesting part of history, but a text book just wasn't what i was hoping for. I learned a lot about Thomas Jefferson and his family, the slaves he owned, and the one he took as a concubine. I was enlightened but not enthralled enough to finish the giant book. I got about 300 pages into it before it was due back at the library and I wasn't attached enough to it to re-check.

Maybe someday when i feel like learning more about mr. jefferson i'll give it another go.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: