8.20.2009

[testimony.]

Testimony Testimony by Anita Shreve

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Testimony is a story about what can happen when you make a really stupid decision and how a single thoughtless moment can send your life and the lives of those around you spiraling out of control. It was one of those books that makes you feel weird, slightly awkward, just reading it.. as if you're listening to someone's private thoughts or reading their diary.

Anita Shreve did a fantastic job of isolating and defining each character's voice. I felt for them- all of them- even the stupid idiots who ruined their lives.

Favorite quotes:

"And now this thing had come between us, and there will never be a day when it is not there, and no matter what I say, there will be the picture of me on the tape doing things to that girl, and I know that you will never be able to get the images out of your mind, they will be there forever, every time I touch you, every time I kiss you, even when I am just sitting in a room and I look over at you, any time you could be picturing the thing that happened on the tape and it will be like something harsh and ugly is always in the room with us, is always in your mind, and nothing could ever be any good between us again, and that is the hardest part. I could go to jail, I could stand the humiliation, I could even let my father hit me if he wanted to, but I couldn't bear to look into your eyes and see the tape running, I just couldn't."

"A single action can cause a life to veer off in a direction it was never meant to go. Falling in love can do that, you think. And so can a wild party. You marvel at the way each has the power to forever alter an individual's compass. And it is the knowing that such a thing can so easily happen, as you did not know before, not really, that has fundamentally changed you and your son."

View all my reviews >>

2 comments:

Richard said...

Man... that sure sounds like a book I should read.
It's amazing how other people's decisions truly do affect your own life.
It's so hard to accept that we aren't really too in control of our lives and futures.
And hell, even if we are in charge of our future... we'd probably fuck it all up anyways.
Love you.

Kalliste said...

Sounds like a great read! I'm requesting it from my own library this very second.
I've been looking for a new book to devour. Thanks for the suggestion.